Management of gestational diabetes during ‘COVID19 time’
Nicolina Di Biase*
Published: 27 May, 2020 | Volume 4 - Issue 1 | Pages: 020-022
The measures put in place by many governments around the world to fight the spread of COVID-19 have drastically reduced visits to diabetes centres. To keep providing people with diabetes the professional support they need and reduce the inconvenience caused by the interruption of traditional assistance, the typical control visit can be carried out by virtual visit, telemedicine (TM) that should have the necessary characteristics to provide a correct execution. Especially this is important for pregnant women first diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), they have the necessity to frequent checks in a short time due to the pregnancy.
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
GDM: Gestational Diabetes Mellitus; TM: Telemedicine
- World Health Organization. Global research and innovation forum to mobilize international action in response to the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) emergency; 2020. https://www.who.int/news-room/e vents/detail/2020/02/11/default-calendar/global-research-and-innovation-forum-to-mobilize-international-action-in-response-to-the-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)-emergency.
- COVID-19: guidance on social distancing and for vulnerable people 2020. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people accessed 17 March 2020.
- Crowther CA, Hiller JE, Moss JR, McPhee AJ, Jeffries WS, et al. Effect of treatment of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy outcomes. N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2477–2486. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15951574
- Guidance for maternal medicine in the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic Version 1: Published Monday 30 March 2020.
- Persson M, Winkvist A, Mogren I. ‘From stun to gradual balance’–women’s experiences of living with gestational diabetes mellitus. Scand J Caring Sci. 2010; 24: 454–462. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19878489
- Littmann K, Petersen Eva RB, Pussinen C, Danielson K, Djurisic S, et al. Evaluation of OneTouch Verio, a new blood glucose self-monitoring system for patients with diabetes. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2013; 73: 286-292. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23473019
- Von Storch K, Graaf E, Wunderlich M, Rietz C, Polidori MC, et al. Telemedicine-assisted self-management program for type 2 diabetes patients. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2019; 21: 514–521. PubMed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31287736
- Xie W, Dai P, Qin Y, Wu M, Yang B, et al. Effectiveness of telemedicine for pregnant women with gestational diabetes mellitus: an updated meta-analysis of 32 randomized controlled trials with trial sequential analysis BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020; 20: 198. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32252676
- Ming WK, Mackillop LH, Farmer AJ, Loerup L, Bartlett K, et al. Telemedicine Technologies for Diabetes in Pregnancy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2016; 18: e290. PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27829574